Tyrone condemn ‘ugly scenes of unwarranted violence’ after 26 cards mar Championship game

Updated at 8.00pm

THE TYRONE COUNTY Committee have condemned scenes of violence which marred a championship meeting between Moy and Edendork on Saturday, where Sean Cavanagh suffered concussion and a broken nose.

The former county captain was taken to hospital at half-time after suffering a brutal knee to the face after 20 minutes of play, with the high number of bookings and sending offs overshadowing the weekend’s game, where Edendork earned a one point victory.

Tyrone have condemned the scenes in a statement released on Monday evening.

It said: “Following on from the Weekend Tyrone Club Championship matches, The Tyrone County Committee wish to state that all or any disciplinary action will be a matter of consideration by the Tyrone CCC.

“Based on the referee’s report, plus examination of the video-recording of the games, the matters arising will be dealt with in an urgent manner & following due process as stipulated in the Rules of the Association and the Official Guide the CCC will determine the relevant penalties.

Click Here: malaysia rugby shirts

“We would wish to condemn all of the ugly scenes of unwarranted violence. We wish also to extend good wishes to all players who incurred injuries — whether accidentally or otherwise.”

And so it continues 😨😨@KCsixtyseven Edendork played Moy today in the Tyrone senior championship first round
20 yellows -6 reds-1 Black
And Sean Cavanagh transported away to hospital in an ambulance. The man that inflicted the injury did not receive a card of any description pic.twitter.com/gOWQdhLVoc

— david greene (@buddygreene) September 16, 2018

Moy suffered a one point defeat on Saturday, losing 0-10 to 0-9. Darren McCurry kicked the winning score for the visitors to O’Neill Park in injury time before being given his marching orders for a black card with moments remaining.

Harry Loughran and Colm Cavanagh were both dismissed for Moy for second yellow cards, with none of the game’s sending offs coming as a result of a straight red.

Sean Cavanagh confirmed on Sunday that he has been released from Craigavon Area Hospital, having suffered significant injuries.

“Thanks for all the messages,” the 35-year-old wrote on Twitter. “Released from hospital with a bad concussion, broken nose & extensive facial injuries but could have been much worse. I’m lucky.” 

On Friday night a brawl also broke out during an Intermediate Football Championship game between Stewartstown and Strabane.

Stewartstown came out on top, winning 1-19 to 2-23, however the game saw five red cards and two black cards produced by the referee.

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *