Twenty-one people were reportedly killed in Afghanistan on Friday after a suicide bomber and at least two gunmen stormed a restaurant popular with foreign dignitaries and staff in the heart of the most protected area of Kabul.
According to early reports, at least two Americans, two Britons, two United Nations officials, and the head of the IMF in Afghanistan were among the dead.
Shortly after the attack, the Taliban took responsibility for the assault saying it retaliation for a recent US/NATO airstrike that claimed the lives of many civilians in the country.
“The target of the attack was a restaurant frequented by high-ranking foreigners,” said Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid an emailed statement. He said his group targeted the targeted the Taverna restaurant, the owner of which was also killed in the attack, because it was a place “where the invaders … dine with booze and liquor in the plenty.”
Click Here: Golf special
The statement continued: “The attack was in retaliation to the massacre carried out by foreign invaders 2 days earlier in Parwan province’s Siyah Gerd district, where the enemy airstrikes destroyed up to 10 homes, razed several orchards as well as killing and wounding up to 30 innocent civilians, mostly defenseless women and children.”
The New York Times reports:
And the Guardian adds: