The #1 ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team (10-0, 2-0 NSIC) will return to Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference action this week with league duals at Minot State (4-3, 0-1 NSIC) on January 24 at 7 p.m. and at Mary (2-4, 0-1 NSIC) on January 25 at 7 p.m.
FOLLOW THE HUSKIES:
- LIVE VIDEO: Fans can follow the action during both matches on the Stretch Internet from Minot State and
- LIVE STATS: Live stats from both matches will be available on Trackwrestling.com at Minot State and
SCSU WRESTLING NEWS AND NOTES:
- The St. Cloud State University team did not compete at the recent Ranger Duals in Kenosha, Wisc. on Jan. 18 due to travel conditions last weekend. SCSU was slated to wrestle against Findlay and UW-Parkside at the Ranger Duals and those matches will not be made up this season.
- The Huskies will bring a 10-0, 2-0 NSIC record into this weekend’s NSIC matches in North Dakota.
- The Huskies recently broke the NCAA Division II record for consecutive dual wins at the NWCA tournament. The Huskies victory over Maryville was the team’s 55th consecutive win, which broke the old record of 54 wins set by the Huskies from Jan. 30, 2011 to Jan. 12, 2014. With the wins over Tiffin, UCO and McKendree, the Huskies have now won 58 consecutive dual matches since a Jan. 14, 2017 loss to Indianapolis at the Ranger Duals.
- SCSU will serve as the host team in an upcoming dual match against NSIC rival Minnesota State Moorhead on Jan. 30. The match will be held that night at the Pierz High School gymnasium and the start time is 7:00 p.m. Of note, SCSU’s #2 ranked 174-pounds Kolton Eischens is a graduate of Pierz High School. Eischens currently owns a solid 8-1 record this season for the Huskies with five pins to his credit.
- Here is a list of the Huskies ranked in the latest NWCA DII individual rankings: Garrett Vos (2nd at 133), Garrett Aldrich (4th at 141), James Pleski (2nd at 149), Jake Barzowski (1st at 157), Devin FitzPatrick (3rd at 165), Kolton Eischens (2nd at 174), Tyree Overton (3rd at 184), Noah Ryan (12th at 197) and Ezayah Oropeza (9th at 285).
- Last year, SCSU posted a 45-3 win over Minot State and a 35-4 victory over the University of Mary. Both of those matches were held in St. Cloud, Minn. The last time SCSU wrestled at Minot State, the Huskies posted a 32-6 victory on Jan. 19, 2018. The last time SCSU wrestled at Mary, the Huskies charted a 32-6 win on Jan. 20, 2018.
- CURRENT TEAM STATS (as of Jan. 21, 2020)
- SCSU wrestlers have earned NSIC Wrestler of the Week honors three times in 2019-20. This list includes Garrett Vos Nov. 11, Kolton Eischens on Jan. 6 and James Pleski on Jan. 13.
- Garrett Aldrich leads SCSU this season with a 12-0 record, while Garrett Vos is also undefeated with an 8-0 record. Noah Ryan (11-2), Devin FitzPatrick (11-1) and James Pleski (11-3) are all tied for second on the team for most wins this season among the SCSU starters.
- In individual matches overall in 2019-20, the Huskies own a 292-142 record, which includes 76 falls.
- St. Cloud State wrestling will compete at the 2020 NCAA DII Super 3 Regional in Sioux Falls, S.D. on Feb. 29. All wrestlers who qualify out of the regional will then advance to the NCAA DII championships, which will also be held in Sioux Falls, S.D. on March. 13-14. Of note, SCSU has won the NCAA Division II team championship in 2019, 2018, 2016 and 2015. The Huskies have finished no lower than eighth place at the NCAA DII championships since 2009, and they have finished as the NCAA DII runner-up in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2017.
- On the topic of titles, SCSU has won eight consecutive NSIC championships since 2012. The last loss in conference action for the Huskies was an 18-13 loss to Augustana on Jan. 30, 2011. The last time that the Huskies lost a home dual meet was a 21-15 setback against Upper Iowa on Feb. 14, 2010 and that calculates to a 48 home dual match winning streak for the Huskies.
- Kolton Eischens is a two-time All-America award winner for the Huskies at 174-pounds and he also gained CoSIDA Academic All-America honors in 2019. Over the years, St. Cloud State wrestlers have been selected for the elite CoSIDA Academic All-America award eight times. This list includes SCSU wrestling notables Andy Reigstad (1997), Ryan Marx (1999), Jake Kahnke (2013), Ben McPhail (2015), Brett Velasquez (2107, 2018 and 2019) and Kolton Eischens (2019).
Probable Starters for St. Cloud State on Jan. 24 and Jan. 25:
125: Robby Horsman (7-3) or Brandon Betancourt (1-6)
133: #2 Garrett Vos (8-0)
141: #4 Garrett Aldrich (12-0) or Joey Bianchini (10-1)
149: #2 James Pleski (11-3)
157: #1 Jake Barzowski (9-2)
165: #3 Devin FitzPatrick (9-2) or Devin Donovan (9-1)
174: #2 Kolton Eischens (8-1)
184: #3 Tyree Overton (10-2)
197: #12 Noah Ryan (11-2)
285: #9 Ezayah Oropeza (8-2)
Check out Huskies Wrestling at scsuhuskies.com and on Twitter and Facebook.
View More College News
Click Here: cd universidad catolica